Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:57:58 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, Steve Price <steve@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ksh93

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 04:21:04PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 03:42:26PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > > I notice that this installs the Korn shell as a static binary.
> > +.if defined(WANT_STATIC)
> > +MAKE_ARGS+=	LDFLAGS=-static
> > +.endif
>
> I am very against this.  It is not a bug for ksh93 to be built
> statically, but the bug is in those shells that are built dynamically
> in /usr/ports/shells/.  Fix the right bug.

What do you suggest?  That all shells be linked and installed
statically? Is there something that makes shells special, or do you
want all ports built static by default?

I would like it if all the shells in ports/shells were linked dynamic
by default, but had knobs for getting static versions.  Then one can
have WANT_STATIC in /etc/make.conf (man, we really need a separate
make.conf-type file just for ports).

> P.S.  What in the world is everyone's aversion to static binaries??

Personally I like to keep static versions of my favorite shell(s)
installed in /bin.  However, ksh93 supports dynamic loading of
commands.  This feature is, of course, unavailable if ksh93 is
statically linked.  In the future I expect to see ksh-foo ports in the
same fashion that we have py-* and p5-* ports.  But if ksh93 itself is
static by default, such ports could only be used after a recompile.

Statically linked applications are also a bit of a pain when new
functionality is introduced into libc, either directly or indirectly,
e.g. SOCKS or nsswitch.  That doesn't mean that static linking is
never appropriate, I just think that it shouldn't be the default for
most people.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org