Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:51:49 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: background fsck deadlocks with ufs2 and big disk

Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> wrote:

> 	You know, vinum & softupdates have had bad interactions with each
> other for as long as I can remember.  Has this truly been a
> consistent thing (as I seem to recall), or has this been an
> on-again/off-again situation?

     Ah, yaaah.  Hmm ....

     This is the first I've heard of that, but I can see how that could
be.  Could vinum be considered to be a form of (unintentional)
write-caching?

     That might explain how the filesystem got terribly hosed, but it
doesn't help with the panic.  Foo.

[ This is on a system that's been running in the current state for
  around a month.  So far, it's panic'd once (a week or so ago), and so
  I don't have any feel for long-term stability.  We'll see how it
  goes.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com