Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:55:02 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Annoying startup output

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 04:02:44PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-03-12 07:57, J.S. wrote:
> > That's what I find odd as well. But note these are system console messages.
> >
> > Does that too get redirected?
> >
> > start)
> >         /usr/bin/su -l ftpd -c '/home/ftpd/openftpd/sbin/ftpd -q' > /dev/null &
>
> You have redirected standard output only, which means that stderr
> will still be sent to the terminal.  Try something like:
>
> 	command >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> Many programs send their messages to standard error, which is a
> different stream from stdout and does not get redirected by a plain >
> redirection.

You could always implement a prettifying system like some versions of
Linux use :). You might have to climb a few mountains to get it put in
place though...

Or just do not look at it..you can always check with "dmesg" afterwards
to see if something went wrong.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>