Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 20:44:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
To:        Alastair Rankine <alastair@cia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apple-Enhanced NetBSD

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Alastair Rankine wrote:

> At 05:43 PM 6/08/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >See http://www.macintouch.com
> >
> >- Apple is firmly committed to the BSD architecture in MacOSX using
> >Apple enhanced NetBSD.
> >
> >This is great news for all BSD users in general. I wonder what
>
> This is not great news for Mac users in general. For a summary of the
> issues (admittedly in the context of Rhapsody), check out:
>
> <http://db.tidbits.com/action.lasso?-search&-database=TEPArticles&-layout=TB
> ArticleDetail&-response=tb%2fItemDetail.html&-timeout=180&ArticleID=00700>
>
> [Maybe I wouldn't be so negative if Apple hadn't dropped Open Transport a
> few months after my OT-based application was released...]
>
> >the placement ads for MacOSX System Admin would look like.
>
> If there are any :/
>
> --
>  [ Alastair Rankine ]        [ mailto:alastair@cia.com.au ]

This is a major issue for many developer. I don't know enough about
writing network stacks to say why one way is better or not. Everyone seems
to agree that running STREAMS, with the BSD socket API layered on top (ala
Sun), would give you the best of both worlds. Apple have yet to put forth a
valid reason for dropping OT. I mean they did invest all this time,
money, and effort to get it to this level.

 Paul Griffith - paulg@interlog.com