Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:44:48 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        alc@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Time to bump default VM_SWZONE_SIZE_MAX?

John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> writes:
> Hmm, this is not true on i386 where the problem is not just the physical
> RAM required, but also address space.  (The swap zone is all mapped into =
KVA=20
> even if it isn't used.)  This is why Alan's e-mail specifically
> mentioned amd64, ia64, etc. but not i386 in his list.  I think i386 still
> needs this limit, and I think your commit jumped the gun a bit.

How about we reinstate the limit on i386, but increase it to 64 MB?
That would increase the theoretical maximum to ~15 GB.  People with 8 GB
swap would get a warning, but would be unlikely to run into trouble.

(or we could increase the limit to 72351744 bytes, which is the precise
amount required to support 16 GB)

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no