Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2011 13:38:15 -0500
From:      Jonathan Stewart <jonstew1983@gmail.com>
To:        Erich Weiler <weiler@soe.ucsc.edu>, freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MFI Driver Behavior

[Please CC me I'm not on this list]

Erich Weiler wrote:
>> We are testing a new theory.  We believe that the C-states and C1E
>>  control on this chipset (in the Dell R610), which are
>> configurable in the BIOS, are affecting the controller in some way.
>> We are disabling them and trying again.  I'll post results soon.
>
> After disabling C-states and CIE in the BIOS on our R610, the Perc
> H800 controller now appears stable.  My ZFS filesystem appears
> stable.  Life seems good.
>
> I wonder what those items in the BIOS are doing in relation to the
> kernel to cause this.

Have you had any further issues with this?  I just updated 2 of my systems to
FreeBSD ???.net 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #2 r219138: Tue Mar  1
13:42:29 EST 2011     root@???.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SERENITY
amd64

from 8-stable sometime around 8 release and just had to have the
datacenter hit the reset button to bring the machine back.

I'm reluctant to take this machine to current but if that fixes the problem
I can do it.  The other option is calling the data center and having them
change the BIOS settings for me but that is also something I would rather
not do.

Thanks,
Jonathan