Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 09:13:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i386/1626: MUSTEK Scanner hangs NCR SCSI controller

Stefan Esser writes:

> The following reply was made to PR i386/1626; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
> To: wb@vestein.arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de
> Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: i386/1626: MUSTEK Scanner hangs NCR SCSI controller
> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 20:02:28 +0200 (MET DST)
>
>  Wilhelm B. Kloke writes:
>
>> AMD 5x86/133 on PCI-Board. SC200 controller with
>> Quantum XP34300 and Mustek MFS-12000CX

>> Whenever the system tries to access the scanner, the SCSI
>> bus is not longer usable, not even for the disc. The system
>> returns after some minutes hanging for other operations.
>>
>> The console log contains the following message (written
>> down to paper, not from a file, so there may be some
>> formatting error):
>>
>> ncr0: aborting job ...
>> ncr0:6: ERROR (90:0) (8-0-0) (0/13) @(c8c:50000000).
>> script cmd = 740a8700
>> reg: da 00 00 13 47 00 06 1f 35 08 80 00 90 00 0f 02.
>> ncr0: restart (fatal error).
>> (ncr0:6:0): COMMAND FAILED (9ff) @f0771000.
>
>  This looks like command abort after a timeout
>  occurred.
>
>> >How-To-Repeat:
>>
>> Easily if the scanner is available.
>
>  Well, fine. It is less than 100km to Koeln, so
>  you may as well make it available :)

I can't reproduce it here (150 km in the other direction :-).  I think
I was using an Adaptec 1542B, but it might have been a 1542A.  But the
software doesn't work very well.  Which software are you using?

>> >Fix:
>>
>> Not known.
>
>  You did not include enough information (there
>  must have been a few more lines above the first
>  you wrote down). But as Justin Gibbs already
>  wrote in his reply, this is most probably caused
>  by another device getting nervous because it
>  can't complete its command, if the scanner does
>  not disconnect and locks out other devices for
>  up to a minute.  (Well, it is in fact the driver
>  becoming nervous, but that's an implementation
>  detail :)

Of course, you're in a bad position if the other device is the disk to
which the scanner software wants to write its data.  I think I did my
tests with an IDE disk.

>  You may be best off connecting your scanner to
>  a second SCSI card. You know they are cheap ...

Sure.  Must be plenty of used ST02s out there.  It doesn't have to be
clever.

Greg