Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:16:32 GMT
From:      Kevin Weiss/AUS/Lotus <Kevin_Weiss/AUS/Lotus@lotus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel sound support

FreeBSD (3.1) does not want to recognize my SB AWE64 card.

I know (from previous compilations of kernels) that my sb0 has to be set to
irq 5 w/DMA channel 6.
However, whenever I try to implement this in the kernel, the card is not
found after rebooting.
I already cd'd to /dev and typed sh MAKEDEV snd0.

I added the device sb0, sbvxi0, sbmidi0, and opl0 entries (with options of
"SBC_IRQ=5", and
"SB16_DMA=6"--this is the config I used from previous FreeBSD 2.2.x
compiles).  After
saving the configuration, and typing /usr/sbin/config MYKERNALNAME...I get
"unknown
option SBC_IRQ=5" and "unknown option "SB16_DMA=6", but I could continue
with
../../compile/MYKERNALNAME (and possibly with a make depend, make and make
install,
but I didn't bother trying this due to the above error).  I added
parenthesis around
(i.e. options "SBC_IRQ=5")...same error.

Does anyone know why this is happening...and/or does anyone have a
suggested configurations
for the SB AWE64 sound card?

PS - Also, is it a good idea to add the awe0 line the kermel?