Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 08:57:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        /G=David/S=Sandel/DD.ALISA=SANDELD@mhs-emerson.attmail.com
Cc:        "o=attmail/dd.id=" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: BOOTP with several subnets ???

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996 /G=David/S=Sandel/DD.ALISA=SANDELD@mhs-emerson.attmail.com wrote:

> I just setup FreeBSD bootp. THe server has an address of 128.53.1.230.
>
> bootp has no problem doing boot requests from other subnet 1 clients.
>
> However ... if i put say 128.53.50.230 as an address in my bootptab
> file ... FreeBSD comes back with an error saying
>
> bootpd[288] set : can only proxy for 128.53.50.230
>
> obviously the subnet 50 address is never sent to the client.

bootpd-2.4.3 with dhcp patches seemed to serve static addresses to various
subnets OK, as long as the subnet mask (sm=) was specified for all
entries; dynamic allocation would not work for requests forwarded from
other subnets, though.

The WIDE dhcp server (ftp://sh.wide.ad.jp/WIDE/free-ware/dhcp/) version
1.3beta is now serving static and dynamic BOOTP and DHCP addresses for all
our subnets on campus; it required minor mods to the preprocessor #if's to
get it to compile on FreeBSD, but then it worked fine.  It was picky about
its file format, though -- see

http://www.dsu.edu/departments/compute/docs/win95lab/win95lab4.html

for my little bit of docs regarding the WIDE dhcp server installation.

Guy

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu