Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 09:23:00 -0400
From:      "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        Wouter Van Hemel <wouter@pair.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Bri <brian@ukip.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhcp problems with my ISP

Wouter Van Hemel(wouter@pair.com)@2002.08.03 23:23:11 +0000:
> On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 12:17, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Bri wrote:
> > > Hi I have a Cable and have a Cable Modem for my internet connection of which
> > > you use dhcp to obtain an IP address great but this only seems to work
> > > successfully on a Windows machine I've registered all the other mac
> > > addresses of unix boxes and Apple macs I have and they seem to have alot of
> > > difficulty obtaining IP addresses. Especially the UNIX machines which run
> > > FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE or 5.0-CURRENT on sparc64 at the moment the sparc64 box
> > > which is a Sun Ultra 5 which is the worst for detecting an IP with dhclient.
> > >
> > > What I would really like to know is what does the windows dhcp do
> > > differently than say dhclient.
> > >
> > > I would be very interested to know as I would like a UNIX machine that can
> > > maintain and IP address.
> >
> > Use the same exact NIC.
> >

> Wouldn't it be possible to change the mac address? A friend of mine used
> this method once to obtain a new ip address from the server when he was
> being DoS'ed on his home ip by some irc kiddies.
>
> Ofcourse, you'd have to change the other cards' mac too, if possible.
>
> > [...]
> >

> Regards,
>
>   wouter

here's the way to change the MAC on freeBSD.  I had to do it a few days
ago.  No big deal, this is VERY simple.

A little background: If you read /etc/rc.network you'll find, before the
ethernet interfaces are started a particular file is sought in /etc:
start_if.nic:
	for ifn in ${network_interfaces}; do
                if [ -r /etc/start_if.${ifn} ]; then
                        . /etc/start_if.${ifn}
                        eval showstat_$ifn=1
                fi

So, for me it was /etc/start_if.fxp1.  What I had to put in this file was
the command to change the MAC to the MAC of the old NIC.

#!/bin/sh
# force fxp1 on dual card to 00:a0:cc:28:89:82
ifconfig fxp1 ether 00a0cc288982

And that took care of it.  I don't need to call my cable co to reprovision
the cablemodem for each computer.  I just change the MAC at the FreeBSD
firewall.

And that's how you do it in FreeBSD.

- Scott
--