Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 14:39:09 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD comparison - it's time, I think!

>> > 3) Full description of ftp.cdrom.com as a "case study".  Also, when
>> > people FTP to ftp.cdrom.com there should be a BIG banner, like:
>> > 'Unleash the daemon in your PC!'
>> > (followed by some information about ftp.cdrom.com and FreeBSD)."
>>
>> That logo looks so cheesy though :P
>
>Sorry for the noise here, but where would we submit 'ad' ideas?  I've
>done a bit of graphical design work (international publications), and
>I have some possible ideas, my favorite is:
>
>  beginning graphic:
>
>   +                                                                 +
>     Did you know?
>
>         L    I    N    U    X
>
>             is used by hundreds of internet providers world wide...
>   +                                                                 +
>
>(where LINUX is a big snazzy looking logo)
>
>Clicking on the image will take you to the full page with some more
>graphics to the effect of
>

>   Yet FreeBSD outperforms it in (most? all? majority?) network applications!
>

>      Recently stanford university performed an independant study
>      of FreeBSD and Linux.  They found that (insert inspiring
>      numbers and stats here).
>
>      This study has prompted the FreeBSD development team to conduct
>      further benchmarks, creating a wide array of information on
>      using not only FreeBSD vs Linux, but also other PC unix systems
>      such as NetBSD, BSD/OS (BSDi?), [Unixware, SCO?]
>
>      [info on getting and learning more about FreeBSD]
>
>Etc.
>
>Actual wording would, of course, be correct and acurate :)
>
>-Brandon Gillespie-

Its always a mistake to give your competitor top billing. Plus
you're informing people that its the OS of choice and FreeBSD
is the whining challenger. What happened to "stressing the
possitives?". One of the reasons that I think that a BSDI vs
FreeBSD vs Linux matrix at least looks more objective.

db