Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2015 08:43:05 +0300
From:      rozhuk.im@gmail.com
To:        "'Gleb Kurtsou'" <gleb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org, 'Adam Nowacki' <nowakpl@platinum.linux.pl>
Subject:   RE: ChaCha8/12/20 and GEOM ELI tests

> On (14/01/2015 05:21), rozhuk.im@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Maybe faster but a stream cipher is unusable for disk encryption -
> > > iv is derived from sector number and doesn't change. Being able to
> > > write a known plaintext and read resulting ciphertext allows you =
> > > recover the cipher stream and decrypt any past or future data
> stored
> > > on that sector.
> >
> > Depends on the capabilities of the attacker.
> >
> > To be able to continuously read encrypted sectors for data =
collection
> > is too much.
>=20
> I disagree. It's the most basic attack scenario. Assuming attacker was
> able to get access to encrypted disk once, odds are high it may happen
> again.
=20
>From different types of threats, there are various means of protection.
AES-XTC more universal solution, encryption ChaSha more specialized.
Each solution has its pluses and minuses.

AES too slow for me, and options when someone magically going to read my =
encrypted disk excluded.
In my particular case.

I think there will a lot of cases when you need the maximum speed of =
encryption and all the other factors are not important or unlikely.

For example, the value of the data may be too low to take the time to =
decrypt, and the data can be very much and you want to write them down =
quickly.

=20
> > Ability to read encrypted sectors has a transmission network, for
> example when the container=3Ddisk is stored somewhere in the cloud.
> >
> > In many cases, the attacker gets Encrypted disk along with other
> equipment, often in the off state.
> > Without encryption keys and the ability to write / read through the
> GELI.
> >
> > I do not see any weaknesses stream ciphers in cases when the =
attacker
> is not able to access the disk when it is mounted in the GEOM GELI.
> >
> > Another possibility is the use of ChaCha (without XTS) - encryption
> > swap file: there every time a new key is generated, besides the =
speed
> > is particularly important.
>=20
> Stream cipher (or similarly functioning block cipher mode) should not
> be used for disk encryption. IMHO swap encryption hardly justifies
> adding insecure encryption mode to geli. Fast swap is certainly nice =
> have, but rather remains a snake oil, system will remain trashed due =
> swapping no matter how fast swap is.

Can you describe what is weak encryption swap with ChaCha?

> > These aspects of the application must necessarily be reflected in =
the
> documentation.
> >

> > There are objections to add ChaCha and XChaCha (without XTS) in GEOM
> GELI?
>=20
> I strongly object.

Adam Nowacki already explained why XTS can not be used with ChaCha, I =
realized my mistake.
Now talking about ChaCha/XChaCha without(!!!) XTS.