Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:27:12 +0400
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux/FreeBSD decision

Hi!

I really don't want to get into it. :)

Only two comments:

> > Some distros have something like ports,
> > but only SOMETHING. Very often you need to hack sources to make
> > something compile. You cannot upgrade you system easily by recompiling
> > everything (i didn't see any global source cvs repository for any
distro).

> While I have no trouble with compiling, I seldom bother to do so.
> (the ps command is my code) Why would I want to waste CPU time
> and wear out my disks when I can install binaries? Gee, save some
> electricity and bandwidth.
>
> I'll be surprised if you can answer this.

1) Installing binaries is a M$ way of giving you purely optiomized software
for exactly your case.
2) I am a developer, not a lame user, i know what i am doing and would like
to configure all sofware optimzly for the host and for the task.

> Mandrake is crap. Slackware is a BSD rip-off.

That's exactly my point! LINUX PEOPLE, YOU MUST FIND
COSENSUS AMONGST YOURSELF FIRST!

Artem