Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:16:07 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@webwizard.org.mx>
Cc:        FreeBSD-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web-based Chat

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Edwin Culp wrote:

> This is probably a dumb question since I have never used a chat program,
> but can anyone recommend a web-based chat that runs on FreeBSD?

This sort of stuff tends to run with perl and or java, and your OS isn't
going to be much of an issue.  There's a bit of a range between CGI
bulletting boards and JAVA clients for pretty much any system you want to
put on a port on your machine, including things like irc and muds.

Bullettin board type systems are better for browsing archives of previous
discussions, but are  slower to use, so they are less social in feel.
they're suited to discussions among larger groups of people.

For a more interactive chat system, you're probably best to use something
along the lines of a MUD and put a java client program on your web page.
Users have the option of using standalone software instead.

Has anyone tried to get the Lambda MOO server going on FreeBSD I wonder?

> Is there some reason why I wouldn't want a web-based chat?

Most approaches to chat systems have potential security pitfalls.  As with
any software, do search the web and security archives for any security
issues.

Andrew McNaughton