Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:00:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andy Georges <ageorges@twizors.rug.ac.be>
To:        freebsd-stable@freeBSD.org
Subject:   building new kernel before or after installing the world

Hello,

I'm tracking -stable with this in my supfile

*default host=cvsup.nl.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix

I did not override these settings.

in a previous post on this list i've seen the following:

> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> reboot (single)
> cd /usr/src
> make -k installworld
> make installworld

(this was for a 3.4 -> 4.0 upgrade.)

now the handbook specifies:

You should build your new kernel after you have completed make world (or
make installworld). If you do not want to do this (perhaps you want to
confirm that the kernel builds before updating your system) you may have
problems. These may be because your config(8)
command is out of date with respect to your kernel sources.

so what will it be?

(a)
make buildworld
make installworld
make buildkernel

or

(b)
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installworld

And euhm another small question. I cvsupped my src tree tuesday (with the
stable-supfile), but doing a make buildkernel does not work:

make: don't know how to make buildkernel. stop.

is this because i have to follow (a), or because the dar thingie didn't
update my Makefile (it is dated

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   5753 Aug 29  1999 /usr/src/Makefile

)

When i look on ftp://ftp.freeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/src, the
Makefile there has the same date as mine, so I suppose this is a good one.

andy

Dept. of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Ghent
Krijgslaan 281 - S9, B - 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Phone: +32-9-264.47.66, Fax: +32-9-264.49.95
E-mail: andy.georges@rug.ac.be