Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:09:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvsup ports-all question

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>
> > I would regularly DL the tarball of all ports and untar it into the
> > /usr/ports directory.  It should be up to date.  But the cvsup ports-all
> > should be doing this automatically for every category.
>  What does DL stand for?
>  Regards

DL stands for "download". You don't want to do it this way because stale
directories and patches will not be deleted, causing any number of
problems. If you do download the tarball, you want to wipe /usr/ports
first, maybe keeping only the distfiles you expect to need, and only then
unpack the new one.

> > On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
> >
> > >How can I cvsup ports-all so that I have new entries after it?(e.g. kde
> > >Tck and so on). As you might guess from the question I tried to do it and
> > >had no luck(special notice to Mr Lehey Yes I know it is not a question
> > >of luck buto of knowledge I lack :) )The somehow mysterious on it
> > >I got some new entries (irc ftp java) and some of them not.Any
> > >suggestions?

I don't quite get the question... cvsup'ing ports-all should leave you
with all that's new in the right place and all that's old gone (and if
it's not there, there's no port for it...). No problem and don't worry, be
happy.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000