Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:34:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad disk or bad setup?

I have a brand-new Maxtor 82560A4 2.5GB disk on an older 486-DX2 66
ISA/VLB machine running a fresh install of 2.2.1.  The disk is on the
second IDE controller (first controller has another disk and a CD which
work just fine).

The disk is found at boot time.  sysinstall partitioned and sliced it
OK.  It mounts OK.  I can even use it some.  However, whenever it gets
heavily used (e.g. a tar | tar for copying from the old disk to new), I
get the following message:

Apr  3 08:11:03 fatman /kernel: wd2s1d: wdstart: timeout waiting for DRQ
writing fsbn 65676 of 65664-65679 (wd2s1 bn 3369917; cn 209 tn 195 sn
47)wd2: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 4<abort>

Or other messages of a similar nature (error 4 is sometimes another
error).

Is this disk bad?  One idea I had was maybe thermal, as the disk works
fine when I boot, but gets unhappy later.

Is it too big and the BIOS getting in the way (there were warnings about
old BIOSs in the disk docs)?  This seems unlikely as FreeBSD seems to be
able to access the whole thing.

Thanks.

Kenneth