Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 12:33:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>, jkh@freebsd.org
Cc:        Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Another 2.1.7 upgrade & no bin dist

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Don Yuniskis wrote:

> > This time I used the boot.flp that was on the installation CD,
> > rather than using the one from ftp.freebsd.org, as I did last week.
>
> [snip]
>
> I've encountered the same set of problems trying a virgin install
> from the 2.1.7 CD-ROM.
>
> > The actual steps I went through are listed at the end, but more
> > interesting are the DEBUG messages from VTY2. Below are the last
> > few lines from VTY2, the buffer only goes back so far. I copied
> > these by hand and believe they are accurate:
>
> [snip]
>
> >   DEBUG: distExtract: parent: (none), me: bin
> >   DEBUG: Request for bin/bin.inf from CDROM
> >   DEBUG: Parsing attributes file for distribution bin
> >   DEBUG: Parse config: Invalid character 'P' at line 0
> >   DEBUG: Finished parsing 0 attributes
> >   DEBUG: Trying to match attribute `pieces'
> >   DEBUG: Request for catpages/catpages.inf from CDROM
> >   DEBUG: Request for catpages/catpages.tgz from CDROM
> >   DEBUG: switching back to VTY1
>
> Same here.  I've been too busy to track this down since then.  Also,
> can someone clarify whether the vty which is selected by ALT-F1 is
> VTY1 (as the debug messages indicate) *or* vty0???  I've pointed
> this out in previous releases and never got a definitive answer...

Hm, unusual.  It's having trouble parsing the bin.inf file.  It looks okay
on the 2.1.7 CD -- it matches the one on the 2.1.6 CD pretty closely.
Make sure that the /cdrom/bin/bin.inf file looks okay, it should look like
this (the first few lines):

Pieces =  66
cksum.aa = 2839795898 240640
cksum.ab = 1001490224 240640
cksum.ac = 1219610413 240640
cksum.ad = 3262945178 240640
cksum.ae = 2219495727 240640
cksum.af = 716958364 240640
cksum.ag = 99084927 240640
cksum.ah = 3415542272 240640
cksum.ai = 986474035 240640
cksum.aj = 328651426 240640
cksum.ak = 1766185867 240640
cksum.al = 2016018304 240640
cksum.am = 4246482 240640
cksum.an = 3765167929 240640
cksum.ao = 149809225 240640
cksum.ap = 2184198754 240640
cksum.aq = 3463024512 240640
cksum.ar = 133209913 240640
cksum.as = 3255017845 240640
cksum.at = 2581546503 240640
cksum.au = 3589425913 240640
cksum.av = 3314109247 240640

I wonder if someone broke sysinstall at the last second, so it's looking
for 'pieces' and not 'Pieces'.

I'll forward this on to jordan...