Date:      22 Jul 2002 22:13:36 -0700
From:      Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
To:        Mark B <boxend@swbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /kernel write failed system full

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 21:35, Mark B wrote:
> OK I know I did something wrong, but with little chance to correct the system, with error messages spewing out at a blinding rate, I hit the reset button then fsck the disks on boot, then edit the fstab to block off all but the basic fs needed to run. I see first error was a /kernel msg complaining about netscape-linux write error, over 400,000 of repetes, then everything got worse, is there a way to span the system over 2 ide disks, I have a 3gig drive and a 25 gig drive.
> I think my main problem was running netscape as root. 8-(

You must IMMEDIATELY cure yourself of the desire to run X11 as root for
any reason. You can achieve everything you need to do under a regular
user account by making good use of 'su' and the 'sudo' ports.
If you don't use X11 as root a 40MB / partition should be enough,
although in these days of large cheap IDE disks you may as well make it
100MB or so.
Here is my setup with two nfs mounts at the end:

daemon:steve {151} dh
Filesystem            Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s2a            74M    41M    27M    60%    /
/dev/da0s2f           3.4G   2.6G   575M    82%    /usr
/dev/da0s2e            98M    31M    60M    34%    /var
procfs                4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
/dev/da1s2e           443M   310M    98M    76%    /usr/src
/dev/da1s2f           584M   379M   158M    71%    /usr/obj
mail:/home             21G   8.5G    11G    44%    /export/home
mail:/media            28G    24G   2.1G    92%    /media

Yes, you can span the system over two disks. If you look close you'll
see I've done so. I can't tell you how to partition your disks because
you haven't said how the box is used. For a workstation with a 3gig
drive and a 25 gig drive (assuming the larger drive is newer) here's a
stab in the dark.

/	200MB	on 3GB
/usr	5GB	on 25GB
swap	2x your RAM with half the swap on each disk
/var 	300MB	on 3GB  (more if you run an mbox-type mailserver
/tmp	300MB	on 3GB
/home	the rest of the 25GB

That leaves alot of unused space on the 3GB, no strong opinion from me
on that.