Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 21:57:21 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Hawkins <peter@clari.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   mail weirdness

Has anyone any clues what may be going on here?

I have a customer who needs to mail large uuencoded zip files daily.
He also downloads largish (>100k) files regularly via his browser.

The browser is able to download the files without problem so his
link can take such transfers without problems when he is using the
FTP protocol.

When he tries to download (smtp) or upload (pop) mail, the transfer
is frequently (though not always) interrupted and although he remains
connected, no more packets are sent. At this point (in the pop
case) there is a 1/2-sent spool file left on the server (one sent from eudora
was 65536 bytes, one from netscape mail was 32768) and a mail process
hangs around until I kill it:

9721  0.0  0.0   544    0  ??  IW    7:57PM    0:00.02 sendmail: server ppp004.clari.net.au [203.27.222.4] child wait (sendmail)

9722  0.0  0.0   580    0  ??  IW    7:57PM    0:00.07 sendmail: TAA09722 ppp004.clari.net.au [203.27.222.4]: DATA (sendmail)

The last packet sent was an ack from me to him.

After this he cannot use the link for anything until he reboots.

I am running popper under 2.1.5 and smtp. He is running eudora and netscape
mail under w95. We have tried setting his port speed up and down to no avail.
(hardware handshaking is set in the internet dialup settings and in eudora)

It smells of some buffer overrun especially as he finds that transfer seems
intermittent - it will run for a while, pause then continue (though I have
not seen this) but sometimes it just won't continue.

There is nothing much in the mail or system logs (mail records a
"waiting for data" when the mail process times out).

I'm confused because as I see it he has used netscape mail and eudora and
neither works - not the mailer. It us upload and download - 2 different
daemons (smtp and pop). The link survives a large ftp. I don't know what's
left!!

Peter