Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:41:25 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, opentrax@email.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freedom@FreedomTC.COM
Subject:   Re: accessing portal site

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Greg, what are you trying to do to me??? Are you trying to get people to
> > > hate me? I have spent almost 1 year trying to make business plans for
> > > Freedom Technologies Corporation, which exists, and sells FREEDOM
> > > SERVERS with FreeBSD installed.
> >
> > No, he's just trying to get you to stop sending email that have the appearance
> > of collusion with the FreeBSD Project.  If you want to send a "heads up" to
> > a FreeBSD mailing list, use BCC so the person or company you're sending the
> > mail to will not misconstrue your message as coming from or being approved by
> > the FreeBSD Project or the Advocacy group.
>
> I always see these types of postings from the corporate perspective
> as a threat of a "call to arms" to mobilize a large group of some
> unknown vitriolic bent.
>
> As such, seeing the Cc: can be an incredibly effective tool, if it
> is used correctly.
>
> That said, I suspect that if there is intent to use the advocacy
> address as a truncheon to get your way, that it would be best if it
> were a padded truncheon: polite, with no rancor.

Precisely my point.  As you well know, I'm not the most polite person in
the world, but I certain take care to use careful language when speaking
on behalf of others.  I advise the same approach for everyone here.  If
this makes us timid to say anything, so be it.  It's hard to justify some
of the harsh language used in public over something so trivial as a
misguided website that only accepts browser X.  It should suffice to tell
them "I cannot buy your products because I cannot view your web pages with
browser Y."  If they want you to buy their products, they will rectify
the situation; if they don't, you didn't want to have them as a supplier
anyhow.