Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 2016 15:42:22 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Perry Hutchison <perryh@pluto.rain.com>,  freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: unexpected package dependency

Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On 19/02/2016 03:55, Perry Hutchison wrote:
>> Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't believe so.  AFAIR, it builds static binaries.
>>
>> So would the inclusion of gcc in the "deps" for sysutils/cpuburn (in
>> packagesite.yaml) be caused by a problem with the way the dependencies
>> are specified in the port, or with the way they are handled by the
>> package-generation mechanism?  (I'm trying to figure out which to file
>> a PR against -- and I'm not all that familiar with pkgng details.)
>>

> My recollection is that the ports infrastructure does not allow to specify
> whether a non-base compiler (like GCC for FreeBSD 11) is required only as a
> compiler (that is, only during the build time) or if its run-time is required as
> well.  The latter is always assumed.

USES_GCC doesn't support that, but using BUILD_DEPENDS with RUN_DEPENDS
does. The downside to that is you have to specify a particular version
when you otherwise would not have needed to do so. Adding a knob to
bsd.gcc.mk to allow a port to say it doesn't need the RUN_DEPENDS would
do the right thing.

> But I could be mistaken.

I've probably overlooked a lot of things, but I did *test* my
suggestion, so I'm probably not completely wrong.