Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:30:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Sasha Egan <wildcard@dax.belen.k12.nm.us>, brian@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote exploit in qpopper.

There is also a new version released today from Qualcomm.  2.5 is
patched against all known problems.
ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/eudora/servers/popper/.

FWIW, I compiled the exploit (known as qpush or qpop) and tried it on an
unpatched 2.41beta1.  Although it did cause a overflow and popper exited
with a signal 11, it did not provide a root shell.  The author of this
particular exploit (It's available on the bugtraq list or from rootshell)
says that it only works on 2.2 or 2.41b1 and only on Linux systems.  (The
exploit itself can be run from any platform.)

The patches that Jordan has made do work.  You can get the new -current
port and build that, or get 2.5 from qualcomm and build it yourself.