Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:45:48 -0800
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@ls.berkeley.edu>
To:        "Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr." <bsder@allcaps.org>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS file unlocking problem

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 05:15:02PM -0800, Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I actually managed to pull down the dump.  It doesn't have any lock
> requests in it.  It looks like it is hanging in the rpcinfo call.
>
> If you really want to debug this, it's going to take a chunk of work.
>
> 1) set up two brand new machines
>     FreeBSD-current for the server
>     Solaris whatever for the client

Well, I think I found the problem. I had just installed the new
FreeBSD machine, not looking forward to finding another Sun to
install, when I had the idea to try different nfs protocols. By
default, it looks like the NFS mount is version 3 tcp. I specified
udp, and both of the test programs (mine and Terry's) work consistently.
I've reenabled locking on the Xinet software, and we'll see (tomorrow)
whether or not that also works.

If I'm right, that means that there is a problem with nfs over tcp
with a Solaris client and FreeBSD-5 server. All other combinations
of client/server pairs worked with the default (which I assume is
version 3 tcp).

BTW, Terry's testlock program, when run with the problem
configuration, would always return the "There is nothing that would
block your lock" message, but it could take anywhere from < 1 second
to >45 minutes. I'm not so confident that my perl program would always
succeed, because I was never willing to wait longer than overnight
before concluding that it was hung.

I'll report back on the status of xinet tomorrow, but thanks to all of
you for your help and suggestions. If there's any more information
I can provide, or testing that I can do, to help fix the
NFS/tcp/Solaris problem, let me know.

Thanks.
Steve
--