Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:37:55 -0700
From:      Hal Lynch <hal@cc.usu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Boot CD of running system

I am putting together a 'surf station'.

Non-volatile files are to be on CD-Rom:
	/
	/etc
	/usr.

Volatile files will be on a hard disk:
	swap
	/var.

I have read the Torito specs.
I have installed mkisofs.
I have surfed for hints on the web.
I have scoured the FreeBSD sight for hints.
So far not a lot of luck!?

I have configured a RUNNING system, created an iso image,
and burned several cd's.  Most of them booted, but all
tried to put me into the installation process.  Not good.
I DON'T want to make an install cd, I buy those.  I want to
make a bootable cd of a running/configured system.

The only boot program I could find to put on the cd that
would actually allow the cd to boot was boot.flp, which
of course plunges me into the install.

Does anyone have a clue for the clueless?

I have just subscribed to this group so it might
be safer to send responses to:

	hal@cc.usu.edu

for a while until the mail starts to flow.

Assuming of course someone will deign to give me a pointer or two.

hal