Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:47:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP bug

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 11:11:16AM -0500, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> > > Umm. Have you tried to disable PMTU on your FreeBSD box?
> > >

> >  Nope.. do you mean on the interior nodes or the gateway - or both?
> > (Some of my interior nodes aren't FreeBSD... so I may not have that option.)
> >

> I mean the FreeBSD box you are sitting on and from which you can't access
> www.aol.com.

That isn't overly likely to be an issue in this case.  A tcpdump will show
for sure the ack for that packet is getting back or not.

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> > On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 09:52:38AM -0500, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> > >  Yes, it's a 3.0-RELEASE box.  To change the MTU I simply specified
> > > mtu 1500 on the ifconfig line for SL/IP.
> >
> > And your peer's MTU is equal to 1500 too, right?
> >
> > --
> > Ruslan
> >

>  Yep - I checked with them first.  At least, my ISP claimed it was...

Use ppp.  It really makes stuff like this much easier since it actually
supports negotiation for things.

To check if the MTU is 1500, use:

	ping -s 1472 host-on-the-other-size

while doing a tcpdump.  Look to see if the response is fragmented or not.
If it is fragmented, then the MTU isn't 1500.

Note that someone stupidly changed -s so you have to be root to use it,
which makes it a PITA to use ping for trying to debug network problems and
really doesn't stop someone who wants to flood someone with traffic.

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> Ok -
>
>  As I understood this discussion (which seemed clear to me); the
> problem was that an internal node (behind the firewall) couldn't
> get to some web sites because of fragmentation issues.  The low
> MTU at the firewall/gateway broke path MTU discovery..
>

>  So - a possible work-around to the problem should be to set the
> SL/IP MTU at 1500 at the gateway - right?

That is one possible workaround if you are seeing the same problem.

Does:

marcs@alive:~$ telnet www.aol.com 80
Trying 152.163.210.28...
Connected to aol.com.