Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 05:26:41 -0500
From:      Rob Andrews <rob@cyberpunkz.org>
To:        France Bala <fgbullet2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to make my local network directly connected to internet

--DIOMP1UsTsWJauNi

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:06:03AM +0100, France Bala wrote:
> Hey guys,
>=20
> I have a local (home) network passing through to a NAT
> server and I want my local network directly connected
> to the internet, so that when I'm in a remote area I
> can still access my network using a dial-up
> connection.  Is there any other way other than getting
> a Class C network?

Its very possible depending on several factors..

I have a NATD daemon running on a FreeBSD 3.4/SecureBSD 1.0 box
which I use to shell into via ssh..  This is on a cablemodem
which has a dynamic IP.  If you're familiar however the lease
on the IP for DHCP is usually long enough that you seldom would
lose the IP you're assigned so you could be semi dependant upon
the box being available even if it lost connection or there was
an outage at some point.  Mostly it depends on your ISP's lease
policy and if your system defaults to trying to grab the former
IP are active.

Now if you're not using a unix os to route internet traffic over
your LAN then depending on the software, you should be able to
affect firewall rules for port redirection from the natd box to
a machine on the internal network.  This also would apply to if
you decided you wanted outside world traffic to not be allowed=20
a direct connection to your box running natd even if it was a
unix OS.  its all a matter of what your concerns are for security
and what services you're expecting to have access to from the
outside world.

If the box is freebsd I'd advise taking a look at the ipfw man
pages as it has some very good examples and I'm told that you
could find some good examples at www.freebsddiary.org as well.

Cheers..

--=20
Rob Andrews