Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 19:08:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Russel Bairstow <r_k_bairstow@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility question

On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Russel Bairstow wrote:

> I am currently running DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1, however, I have heard a
> lot of good things about FreeBSD and I am thinking about installing it
> to my system.

> My question is can I use the applications that I currently have on
> FreeBSD or do I have to find compatible applications.

Windows programs are runnable under the WINE Windows emulator, and some
DOS applications can be run under the 'rundos' DOS emulator.
Unfortunately, these are incomplete emulators and may not necessarily run
your programs, depending on what they expect in terms of machine
capabilities.

FreeBSD is a UNIX-style OS; it is not anything like Windows or related
MS OS's.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo