Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:30:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk>
To:        Hans Zuidam <hans@brandinnovators.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems building 2.2-current

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Hans Zuidam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Most likely your suffering from the dreaded ``signal 11'' bad memory
> problem.  I'm having these too with more or less intermittent
> occurences.  The problem seems to be a bad memory chip somewhere.
> Another cause could be overheating.  None of the memory test programs
> I used seemed to be able to find anything bad.  They never do unless
> the chip is a smelly brown blob ;-)  Also look at:
> <http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/>.  When things got really bad I

That URL doesn't seem to work.

> reseated all simms and that made the sig11s go away... only to
> reappear after a while.

Hhhhm. I've had such a memory problem before. Then it was bad cache RAM
which caused intermittent signal 11. However, that's been fixed and these
problems only occur during a compile. The system "seems" to work perfectly
otherwise. Also some of the signals the compile were failing on were: 6, 4
etc. Does this still sound like RAM?

Mark Powell - Unix Information Officer - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel:	+44 161 745 5936	Fax:	+44 161 736 3596
Email:	mark@salford.ac.uk	finger mark@ucsalf.ac.uk (for PGP key)
<A HREF="http://www.ucsalf.ac.uk/~mark/">Home Page</A>