Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 02:22:53 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        tarkhil@mgt.msk.ru
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make release: WHY NO ONE MENTIONED IT???

Because anyone using this target and this Makefile is supposed to know
what they are doing.  If you'd read the Makefile properly first, as
you were expected to, you'd have seen that it needed a fully populated
/usr/obj to install the chroot tree from.

Again, and for perhaps the 1000th time, this stuff is NOT for
beginners!  You don't even want to get into the mechanics of making a
release if you're not fully capable of reading a Makefile *thoroughly*
and understanding what it does.  Unlike the rest of /usr/src,
/usr/src/release is not and never had been intended for the "end user" -
it's for a very small subset of our userbase which has both a need
for a custom release and is able to do all of the above (read Makefiles
and do the right thing).

					Jordan