Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 14:00:42 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq DL380 too noisy

Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us> writes:

> Subject: Re: Compaq DL380 too noisy
>
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>
> > I'm running a Compaq DL380 under FreeBSD 4.2R. Now the fans all run
> > on full speed and create quite some noise.
> >
> > Is there any way of regulating them like with the Insight Manager
> > under Windoze?
>
> Are you sure that software is regulating them at all?  I have a ML530
> running FreeBSD 4.2, and upon initial power-on, the fans are running
> at full-speed and the thing sounds like a jet taking off.  However,
> after a short period of time the fans drop to a much lower speed
> (still quite loud), and not under any kind of OS control, because it
> happens no matter where I am, wether its in the Compaq System Setup,
> in FreeBSD, or even on a DOS boot floppy.  I have never run Windows NT
> on it, so I have no idea if Insight Manager or any other utility
> actually offers some kind of control for them.  I actually don't like
> the fans in the ML530 as much as I do in the 3000's we have.  The new
> ML530 is WAY too loud, and there is no vibration isolation between the
> hotplug fans and the chassis which would actually help decrease the
> noise.

I had installed an ML370 at a client site myself and was shocked when
I heard the fans on it as well.  When I spoke to Compaq about it, I
was told that it was their insight agents that controlled them (and
slowed them down if the ambient temp was low enough), and sure
enough, when I finally got around to installing those (this one runs
Netware), when their utilities loaded the fans quieted down.

The T/S guy told me there is no other way to quiet them down, so I
would guess unless you can get hold of the API from Compaq you might
be stuck with the noise problem unless you're running a supported OS.
(ie something they have agents for)

I have no idea why yours eventually quiet down, that certainly wasn't
the case for the ML370 - it ran for days like that.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium