Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 2014 18:20:21 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postal Notification

On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 10:15:25 -0600, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 11/03/14 10:01, jd1008 wrote:
>

> I 2nd this motion. The #1 source of SPAM which makes it to my home PC
> (this FBSD 9.3p3 box) is crap going to this list, which I have
> whitelisted :-/ ....

This mailing list is public. It also is not being moderated.
However, you can easily filter spam on client side, for example,
if the messages contain HTML garbage, or certain keywords are
met. Filtering for certain X-Mailer strings is also possible.
If you don't want to do this in your MUA, you can use your
MTA to do this at an earlier stage (either by deleting the
offending messages, or simply denying to receive them).

In my opinion, this is not even worth the time, as there
is only _few_ spam on this list (compared to others!) which
only requires a single DEL keypress to be deleted. In most
cases, the subject is fully sufficient to determine if this
action is required. This opinion illustrates that I'm a lazy
person who doesn't receive thousands of messages per day to
be bothered automating anything. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany