Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:02:19 +0000
From:      "Nathan J. Yoder" <njyoder@gummibears.nu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound blaster AWE64 not working correctly

I am having trouble getting my PnP ISA Sound Blaster AWE64 working
correctly.  FreeBSD does detect the sound card on boot, and I can change
the mixer settings.  However, whenever I try to play some sounds, no sound
comes out (using xmms).  I have cat'ed random data in addition to a .au
file to
/dev/dsp, from which I got a split second of noise which gets abrubtly cut
off.  Changing the volume in the mixer does in fact effect the amount of
white noise coming out of the (or whatever color noise it is).

Here is more information than you wanted to know (if you need to know
more, just ask):

I'm using a PnP bios, so if I need to change any settings there tell
me. It's from about '98.

uname -a
FreeBSD chesire 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #4: Tue Jul 11 18:07:03 GMT
2000 root@chesire:/usr/src/sys/compile/CHESIRE  i386

cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jul  2 2000 23:42:56
Installed devices:
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> at io 0x220 irq 9 drq 0:5 (1p/1r channels duplex)

dmesg | grep sbc
sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x300-0x301,0x388-0x38b irq 9 drq
0,5 on isa0
sbc0: setting card to irq 9, drq 0, 5
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> on sbc0

in my kernel config file:
device pcm
device sbc
# note, I have tried manually changing the sonud card settings for sbc,
# but freebsd detected the ones above automatically, and overrode the ones
# in the kernel config