Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 09:11:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, imp@village.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, ugen@latte.worldbank.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw vs ipfilter

> >IP Filter has its own set of regression tests, which you can verify yourself
> >and then against a test run, if you like.  Not to mention that this has
> >helped find bugs.  Both rule parsing and rule processing are tested for
> >correctness.  This is seen in neither ipfw or ipfwadm for FreeBSD/Linux.
> >In a security concious world, how can you not want to be sure of something
> >like this ?
>
> Uhm, aren't people overlooking the obvious here:  We can have both,
> and the user can choose.  That was my hope at least.

I would hope that this is the case.  I have been very happy with ipfw,
and while I am not against exploring other options, I do not see why
there can not be two coexisting tools to do this.  We have two console
drivers.  We have two drivers for one of the serial cards.  :-)  Each
one has certain benefits and problems... and it seems to me that the
ipfw/ipfilter thing is pretty much the same way.

PHK has, if I remember correctly, done a LOT of work on ipfw and I believe
that it would be a shame to waste all the effort that everybody has put
into this.  Whether or not Ugen has failed to support and develop ipfw is
something of an irrelevant issue - FreeBSD has lots of drivers which have
not been actively supported or maintained by their authors.

ipfilter may or may not be a suitable "replacement" for ipfw, but it would
probably be easier and more correct to consider it as a package that can
coexist with ipfw and provide much of the same functionality.

... JG