Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 13:10:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Desjardins <bill@carracing.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ida0: soft error ?

Hello,

couldnt find a good answer for this in the archives, so here goes.

I have a copmpaq 2500 with a smart-2/p array controller and 5 9gig
drives. today the controller reported that one of the drives had
an 'iminent failure' that was going to happen to one of them. I replaced
that drive with another drive that has not previously given problems, and
since installing it, I get tons of ida0: soft error. from what I did see
in the archives, a soft error appears to be when the controller tries to
write to the disk and is unsuccessful the first time, but a 2nd try
works. Is this the case? if so, is it due to the new drive rebuilding and
does that error go away after the rebuilding process? If it doesnt go away
after the rebuilding process, where do I look to diagnose the problem?

I am just getting to learning and using raid so any help or direction you
can give is appreciated.

TIA,

Bill

--
Bill Desjardins - bill@carracing.com - (USA) 305.205.8644
Unix/Network Consulting - perl/mod_perl/SQL development