Date:      12 May 1999 02:49:33 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Freebsd Danny <freebsd@start.com.au>
Cc:        "gandolf@destiny.erols.com" <gandolf@destiny.erols.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Equivlent of Services in NT for Freebsd -- Help me

On Sat, 08 May 1999 23:07:44 "GMT", Freebsd Danny <freebsd@start.com.au> said:

Freebsd> Hi everyone, I have just upgraded the latest version of
Freebsd> apache But instead of me everytime to start freebsd type

Freebsd> /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

Freebsd> I want freebsd to start that during the bootup. without me
Freebsd> typing it

I built apache + php + mod_ssl from  the ports collection. (If you're
unfamiliar with ports, do check it out -- it rocks). Ports normally do
everything you need for the install including installing startup
files. For example, it installed the following startup script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh:

  #!/bin/sh
  [ -d /usr/local/pgsql/lib ] && /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/pgsql/lib
  [ -x /usr/local/sbin/apachectl ] && /usr/local/sbin/apachectl startssl > /dev/null && echo -n ' apache'

If you follow the /etc/rc* files, they look in this rc.d dir for any
file ending in .sh and run it, so it's a great place to start
locally-installed daemons.