Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 1995 13:28:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Live insertion/removal of HD ?

I think this issue has been delat with, at leas partially, with
laptops. I have bought a removable frame for IDE HDs.  Assuming
my HD (would be wd1) is not in use, i.e. no mounted partitions, no
swapping to the disk, etc., is it possible to replace it while
FreeBSD is running ? I.e. how much information on the disk is kept
in the kernel, and is there a way to have the disk reprobed while
running ?

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522