Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 20:38:13 +0100
From:      Fredrik Carlen <fredrik.carlen@telia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports versus packages

What does happen when you do pkg_add?
I thought I had this figured out, but obviously, I haven't...

I thought packages were pre-compiled, and that ports were like adapting the
software to install on FreeBSD, only done by somebody else than me (who has a
very rudimentary knowledge of this anyway).

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to get some info on the process of "installing"
UNIX software (although I know this is called porting...), does anybody know
some free way of getting this info? I really can't afford to buy that Gerg
Lehey book "Porting UNIX software" right now, and I don't even know whether I
need it or not.

I can solve a number of intricate mathematic problems, but I can't get Lynx to
install properly... :(

/Fredrik