Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 08:56:42 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE, grog@lemis.com, freebsd-chat@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad system call - world build

[redirected to chat]

On Tue, Oct 21, 1997 at 12:28:40AM +0200, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> > > Not quite, Greg. Normally I know what to do when proc.h has been changed
> > > (ps/w etc. weirdnesses) but in this case I'm not sure whether
> > > building a new kernel (3.0-current) and booting it on top of a
> > > set of (up to then) 2.2.2-binaries would be a could remedy here.
> >
> > Funnily enough, Greg is quite right.  I almost feel that I'm insulting
> > him by backing him up, but Chris, this *is* a FAQ, and if you were
> > reading the -current list like you're supposed to, you would know all
> > about this.
> >
> > You do need a newer kernel to get past this.  The issue *was*announced*
> > when the change was made.  There was some attempt made to put in place
> > code to deal with the new system call, but it appears to have been
> > unsuccessful and at any rate is only needed for the bootstrapping case.
> > Going from 2.x to 3.x is going to get harder, not easier.
> >
> > > I will more likely follow the advice of your forespeaker, namely
> > > excluding the termcap subdir from the worldbuild.
> >
> > This is stupid, and fails to address the problem.
>
> Hmm. As far as I recall, we had some interface change of
> mount(8) in -current about half year ago which made it
> impossible to successfully mount with a new kernel and old userland
> environmemt.

Exactly this I meant. I ran into this trap several times. Not because
I made the same mistake twice but someone deleted /kernel and /kernel.old
was unusable due to the mount problem. Only fixit floppy helped at that time.
Actually I didn't want to contribute to this thread anymore because it's
just hot air.

> So even if this is a FAQ the answer depends...  Most of the time

Greg said 'almost a FAQ' and I would leave it at that.
I don't know what the critical mass is to make an issue a FAQ
but believe me, I sifted through my saved freebsd-current mail
archive for 'system call' before asking ans didn't find
nothing relevant.