Date:      Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:13:29 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Killing IPTOS_CE and IPTOS_ECT

Rui Paulo wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on TCP ECN support and I would like to kill these defines
> from netinet/ip.h
>
> #if 1
> /* ECN RFC3168 obsoletes RFC2481, and these will be deprecated soon. */
> #define IPTOS_CE                0x01
> #define IPTOS_ECT               0x02
> #endif
>
> The are outdated and should no longer be used because that RFC has been
> obsoleted. RFC 3168 uses a bit different bits:
> #define IPTOS_ECN_NOTECT        0x00    /* not-ECT */
> #define IPTOS_ECN_ECT1          0x01    /* ECN-capable transport (1) */
> #define IPTOS_ECN_ECT0          0x02    /* ECN-capable transport (0) */
> #define IPTOS_ECN_CE            0x03    /* congestion experienced */
> #define IPTOS_ECN_MASK          0x03    /* ECN field mask */
>
> The only consumer of the RFC 2481 defines is sbin/ipfw/ipfw2.c and
> luigi@ accepted the attached patch.
>
> Does anyone have any objection against the removal ?

No.  Please produce a complete unified diff patch including both
the changes to ip.h and ipfw2.c, a sufficiently verbose commit
message, the result a complete make universe build run with the
patch applied to otherwise clean sources and send it to re@ and
me in CC.  If approved I commit it for you.

--
Andre