Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 19:17:43 +0100
From:      regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk (Philippe Regnauld)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk (Philippe Regnauld)
Subject:   Dialout server

I have a strange setup to accomplish, and I thought freebsd-isp might be
the place :-P

I have to set up a dialin server, so that local users can dialup from
home using PPP, and so access the Lan and the outside world.

Where it gets tricky is that users _at work_ would like to be able to
dial OUT from their office computer.  I have thought about several solutions,
each  uglier than the other :-) :

1) Forget FreeBSD and setup NT with some modem share package :-(((
   But I would like to avoid it because:

   - I would like to keep all modems on one machine
   - ... NT ...  (and Artisoft and such :-/ )

2) Force users to telnet to a wrapper that starts a comm program like
   minicom, but:

   - I'm stuck with file transfers and so
   - Can't use terminal emulators like (hrmmm)  HyperTerminal...

	Thus:

	Is there any package (maybe commercial) out there that would allow
	me to dialout using some comm program on Win 3.x/95, on a FreeBSD
	modem pool ?  (Short of writing one -- I imagine you have to redirect
	irqs and such on the Win box...).

--
							-- Phil

-[ Philippe Regnauld   /   Systems Administrator   /   regnauld@.prosa.dk ]-