Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:26:23 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: D-Link device ste tx underrun

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 02:16:21PM -0800, Lucky Green wrote:
> Hi there,
> I just installed a new D-Link DFE-550TX NIC on my machine running
> FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p2. I am seeing the following errors in the log
> file:
>
> Mar 23 15:01:05 pakastelohi /kernel: ste0: transmission error: 90
> Mar 23 15:01:05 pakastelohi /kernel: ste0: tx underrun, increasing tx
> start threshold to 60 bytes
> Mar 23 18:40:17 pakastelohi /kernel: ste0: transmission error: 90
> Mar 23 18:40:17 pakastelohi /kernel: ste0: tx underrun, increasing tx
> start threshold to 120 bytes
>
> A Google search showed that at least one other person has reported what
> looks like the same problem, but I have been unable to locate a cause or
> fix. Suggestions are appreciated.

Why do you think this is a problem vs. just a diagnostic?
This not unusual.  This really should be in the FAQ.

> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=freebsd+ste+%22tx+underrun%22&hl=en&se
> lm=3BCAF3D8.70B95C82%40gmx.net&rnum=1

Please ensure URL's are not wrapped by your MTA.
In this case, there are 'watchdog timeouts'.  Those are bad.  But, you
have not stated you are getting them.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)