Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:53:36 +0100 (BST)
From:      freebsd-ports@rikrose.net
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with pam_pwdfile 0.95

Hi all,

Either I'm doing something wrong, or I've found a problem.

I've plugged pam_pwdfile into pure_ftpd, with the following entries in
/etc/pam.conf:

pure-ftpd       auth    sufficient      pam_skey.so
pure-ftpd       auth    requisite       pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so
pure-ftpd       auth    sufficient      pam_pwdfile.so pwdfile /etc/ftp.passwd
pure-ftpd       auth    required        pam_unix.so try_first_pass
pure-ftpd       account required        pam_permit.so
pure-ftpd       session required        pam_permit.so

The ftp.passwd file constsis of a single line consisting of a fake
username ("foo"), and the output of: md5 -s "foo". (Yes, this is an
internal machine, before anyone worries about me giving out usernames and
passwords).

Which yields the following results in /var/log/messages, when attempted:

Oct 18 13:46:51 cleese pam_pwdfile[48726]: wrong password for user foo
Oct 18 13:46:53 cleese /kernel: pid 48726 (pure-ftpd), uid 0: exited on
signal 11 (core dumped)

Have I got the format of the password file wrong?

I also have another question, how is pure-ftpd going to get a fake user's
home directory to, if the pam auth succeeds. Am I going down the wrong
track completely for allowing FTP access, but no shell && mail?

TIA,

rik
--
PGP Key: D2729A3F - Keyserver: wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net - rich at rdrose dot org
Key fingerprint = 5EB1 4C63 9FAD D87B 854C  3DED 1408 ED77 D272 9A3F