Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 01:57:34 GMT
From:      roland@freetools.de
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   All ports except 2600..2605 closed after partial upgrade

Yesterday, I upgraded /etc/periodic manually from 4.1 to
CVS-STABLE, including /etc/default and nearly everything
in /etc except rc.conf (like many times since FB 2.6...)

Everything was OK, but at Midnight all services stopped
working, no standalone-daemons, no xinetd, just nothing...

I still can ping the server and nmap shows all the normal
used ports, but addidional the following which must be
some kind of routing-software:

(Ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
Port    State       Protocol  Service
2600    unfiltered  tcp       zebrasrv
2601    unfiltered  tcp       zebra
2602    unfiltered  tcp       ripd
2603    unfiltered  tcp       ripngd
2604    unfiltered  tcp       ospfd
2605    unfiltered  tcp       bgpd

One hour later the 'normal' ports vanished, only the 2600+
ports are still listening.

Now I have 5 hours left until the morning to find out what
happend and why...

thanks for any hints.

Roland