Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 01:39:59 +0400
From:      Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>
To:        Jason Garman <jgarman@wedgie.org>
Cc:        Thomas K?llmann <koellmann@gmx.net>, Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New kernel with its ATA drivers damages the filesystem

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 04:35:27PM -0500, Jason Garman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 02:23:57PM +0200, Thomas K?llmann wrote:
> >
> > Please excuse if this was mentioned before (I did not follow this
> > thread very closely), but isn't _not_ using
> >
> > 	options		ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA
> >
> > enough as a measure of precaution?
> >
> > This is from LINT:
> >
> > # ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA: enable DMA on ATAPI device, since many ATAPI
> > # devices claim to support DMA but doesn't actually work, this is
> > # not enabled as default.
> >
> Note there is a subtle distinction between ATAPI devices and ATA hard
> disks. The devices which that option disables DMA for are devices like
> CD-ROMs, IDE zip drives, etc. -- NOT normal IDE hard drives -- they use
> DMA with the new driver regardless of that setting.

Interestingly, commenting out this option doesn't affect the mode for my CD-ROM
either.

   sysctl reports
     hw.atamodes: dma,---,dma,---,

First dma is for ad0, second for acd0.

And dmesg reports using UDMA-33 for CDROM, too.

acd0: CDROM <FX4010M> at ata1-master using UDMA33

--
=== Grigoriy Strokin, Lomonosov University (MGU), Moscow ===
=== contact info: http://isabase.philol.msu.ru/~grg/     ===