Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:35:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        dmateer@utopia.gateweb.co.uk, support@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: David Mateer: make world tradjedy

> Hmmm, can you think of any reasons why this might be?

Err... maybe.

Tragedy. 'Tradjedy' is not a word.

[chop]

> hi,
>
> one of our servers has been running FreeBSD 2.1.6-RELEASE for some
> time now and I have decided to upgrade it to the latest release 2.1.7
> for obvious reasons.  however, after getting the src from freebsd.org
> and installing it (sh install.sh base bin etc...) i did a make clean
> ; make world from /usr/src.  however, i get a Error Code 1 when it
> tries to compile ypxfr from /usr/src/gnulibexec/ypxfr.  undefined
> symbol _xdr_ypresp_xfr, xdr_ypreq_xfr and _xdr_yppushresp_xfr.  dunno
> whats up, ive upgraded from 2.1.0 to 2.1.5 and from 2.1.5 to 2.1.6 ok
> using this method.  any help would be greatly appreciated.  if it
> helps im running a p133 32meg.  thanks,
>
> David.

These functions should be in libc. If the linker is not finding them,
then the possibilities are:

- You're using some weird linker options.

- You've got a busted/incomplete/bogus libc. The ypxfr XDR routines are
  supposed to be in src/lib/libc/yp/xdryp.c. However they weren't always
  there; I think I added them between 2.0.5 and 2.1.0. This leads me to
  believe you may have overwritten your libc.so with one of the older
  versions from one of the COMPAT distributions. Alternatively, you have
  both versions and the linker is somehow choosing the wrong one.
  (Note that in 2.2 and up, most of the XDR routines are now generated on
  the fly using rpcgen(1).)

In any case, the ypxfr code is correct otherwise the 2.1.7 release build
would never have succeeded. It's up to your installation to make sure that
you have the right libraries and compile/link options.

-Bill