Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 22:48:57 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I'd be concerned about that, too.  We've studied the issue and have decided
> > that to put GPLed code in the standard system would be dangerous.  It does
> > not appear to be a problem for optional components, so we may use GPL code
> > for elective add-on products.  This even drove us to use PostgreSQL rather
> > than MySQL in our product, though MySQL would have been a better fit.
>
> The pre-GPL license on MySQL was actually incredibly _worse_
> than the GPL.
>
> > I must say I like pgsql a lot better.
>
> I keep meaning to play with this; does it support triggered
> mutual replication between two hosts running the code?  I

It does support triggers, but I don't think it does replication.

> really want fault tolerance, load balancing, and automatic
> fail-over (basically, by having the load all move to one
> machine instead of two [actually more complicated], so that
> everyone gets degraded service, instead of some number being
> denied service entirely).

You might be able to do some interesting tricks with the commit code
for the generational mechanism.  In PostgreSQL 7, there is a finite
point in time where every commit moves from a "new generation" record
to being fully integrated with the main data store; this might be an
excellent time to replicate the last phase of the commit across replicated
servers.

> I don't have triggers in the code, but I actuall have MySQL
> set up for mutual replication via log replay, so that the
> database and its replica stay more or less synchornized.

What sort of replay interval do you use -- more or less continuously?

I find MySQL to be unstable and rather toy-like compared to PG, which I've
not had a single problem with yet.  The enumeration types in MySQL are
missed, though.