Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:40:18 +0200
From:      Barry Irwin <bvi@itouchlabs.com>
To:        Scott Blaydes <sblaydes@rnetinc.net>
Cc:        Adrian Gonzalez <adrianbsd@globalpc.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Content filtering

On Thu 2002-01-24 (22:15), Scott Blaydes wrote:
> > Is there any software package out there (commercial or not) to do content
> > filtering under FreeBSD?  Basically, we install FBSD for our customers in
> > mail server/dns/firewall setups, and many have asked if there's a way for
> > them to restrict which of their users access what on the web.  I'm looking
> > for something maybe with a web interface for configuration so that we don't
> > have to go in and tweak settings for each customer every time they find a
> > web site they don't want their employees accessing.
I have always used squid caching proxy, it supports a really wide range of
ACL's and is reliable.  Unfortunately I'm not really aware of any web
interfaces for configuring squid tho.  Another nice system to install is
nntpcache (although this requires licensing) for prroxying and filtering
NNTP (news) traffic.  Squid even supports transparent proxy.

Combine these with appropriate firewall rules and away you go.

Barry

--
Barry Irwin		bvi@itouchlabs.com			+27214875150
Systems Administrator: Networks And Security