Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:10:00 -0400
From:      David Magda <dmagda@magda.ca>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   booting old kernel (Re: panics after upgrading to -STABLE Aug 9, 2002)

You said:

 > Could someone put the word out when this issue is fixed? This problem
 > just hosed my web server after I forgot the prime directive: test on
 > a non-critical machine.

You can go back to the old kernel (/kernel.old). When you boot, you get
the "twrily". Hit space.

If you do the command 'lsmod' at the prompt you will see "kernel" with
some info after it. There may be some other kernel modules loaded as
well.

Type the command 'unload' and do a 'lsmod' again. You should not get
anything back.

Type in 'load /kernel.old' to load the old kernel into memory.

You can now do a 'boot' to boot into multi-user mode, or 'boot -s' to go
into single-user mode.

This procedure worked for me. YMMV.

Further commands are available in the loader(8) man page. You can find
the man page online [1].

[1] http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=loader

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>