Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:45:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> In the light of your failure to elect a President of the USA and thus
> to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your
> independence, effective today.

The networks have propogated the myth that an election outcome is
determined by the networks before the ten o'clock news on Tuesday night.
People have come to accept this.  This is not the case.

The terribleness of our purported inability to select a President is a
_created_ story.  We have selected a President.  We just don't know the
official results yet.  Hey, every four years we have 8 weeks to get it
figured out.

My point is that a vote is not decided until all the votes are in, in
every state, counted by whatever rules that state provides.  What people
have come to accept as fact is merely a prediction by the networks.  This
year is different only in that the prediction cannot yet be made by the
networks.  It only appears that we have taken an inordinate amount of
time.

Our system of selecting leaders is no different than it has ever been.
The media has to make a story out of this to perpetuate the myth that
elections are decided _on_ Tuesday.

I am not ranting too hard here.  I just want people to recognize that what
the media tell us and the truth are two different things.  (Pending
litigations aside.)

And BTW, I thought this forward was cute. I especially liked the digs on
American football and wearing body armor like "nancies". :)  Frankly, I
have become bored with the sport I once played.  I like watching
basketball.  A lot more happens and it happens much more quickly.

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells